So yesterday after work my Man, Sister, Brother in Law, Dad and I all had to attend a Café event. I know you’re wondering what Café is. I’ve mentioned it before but since I am fully aware that it’s boring and not exactly something worth remembering I’ll tell you again. Café stands for Canadian Association of Family Enterprises and I think the first sentence makes it PRETTY clear why we’re members. I mean everyone and their dog works for the family business. Literally.
Anyway, the event consisted of a tour of the cities sound stage (for films, TV shows, commercials, etc) followed by drink and appy’s at one of the local TV stations. As we walked in and out of each HUGE, for the most part empty, stages we were told where things HAD been, “And THIS is where we HAD sets built for Corner Gas… And THIS big square of normal looking floor CAN be removed and filled with water.” Basically your level of tour enjoyment was directly linked to your imagination; the better your imagination the more interesting the tour.
I on the other hand was preoccupied with my own thoughts. As usual. I was busy trying to reminisce back to the time when I was standing in and being the photo double for Amy Smart (we do not look the same) on Just Friends, which would have been the last time I had been in the Studio.
I was also thinking about how old I must be getting since my memory of that time period was rather blurry. Shit. Soon I won’t be able to remember any of the good stuff.
For starters, I should explain exactly what a Stand In is. A Stand In “stands in” the scene where the actor or actress STANDS while the lighting and camera crew set up the shot. A Stand In is supposed to look similar to the actor/actress that way once the lighting is flattering on the Stand In, it should be perfect for the actor/actress. This leads me to wonder what Owen Wilson’s Stand In's nose looks like…
Anyway, you’re referred to as Second Team and you’re expected to watch the blocking (when they go over the scene with the actors) so that when they yell “SECOND TEAM” you’re there and you already know where to stand and where to walk and when etc.. Now I know this sounds easy but apparently paying attention and constantly being ready are not my strong points. I clearly remember getting in trouble as I stood in front the camera with a blank look on my face. Walk where? I forgot to watch. You know, maybe you should just get Amy back in here. After getting in trouble from the director I spent a lot less time lingering around the Kraft Service tables and more time watching and waiting. I can’t tell you how many times I would be sleeping at night, dream that I heard someone yell out “Second Team” and jump out of bed in a panic.
Some of the other things I remember from Just Friends were the people, and in particular the Director of Photography. He was my favorite. I would sit with him and he’d tell me stories all kinds of stories. The stories usually involved the 1970's and the copious amounts of cocaine laying around movie sets, as well as the numerous women he had been with. At one point he was actually married to Jaclyn Smith, one of the original Charlie’s Angels. 'm assuming he must have been a good looking man back in his prime. Either that or Jaclyn spent most of her time ON the illegal substances floating around.
What else did I learn...
Anna Faris is the bomb. She'd always talk to me and let's be honest who wants to talk to the "Second Team"?!
I rode around in a car with Ryan Reynolds dressed in Amy Smart's clothes (photo doubling). He's nice and FUNNY. And tall and SKINNY.
Oh and when Chris Klein introduced himself I pretended like I didn't know him. I believe he said, "Hi, my names Chris." And and I replied, "Chris? Nice to meet you." I've only seen American Pie a million times.
That's all I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment