Monday, March 15, 2010

Pizza Partay

I rolled out of bed and straight downstairs for my Cookie with TWIST.

Peanut Butter Cookie


1 tbsp Peanut Butter, 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 of a Smashed Nanner, Cinnamon, 1 tsp Maca Powder, Almond Milk and lotsa Agave. I totally forgot that I had made this without Almond Butter until I started eating it. I noticed something different and then finally it clicked, PB. I liked it this way too, the only thing I wouldn't do next time is put Maca Powder in since it didn't blend with the PB flavor. How DARE you Maca Powder.

Mid Morning Snack


Melon, mmmm tastes just like SUGAR.

I took Bailey for a walk before making lunch. And no I do not just fail to mention when I take her for walks, it really is that rare. I’m aware that this makes me a bad animal mom but I hate being cold and up until now it’s been a deep freeze here. I make up for it with hours of cuddling and Real Housewives marathons.

She really rubbed in the guilt by coming to a halt every 2 minutes. Apparently the lack of walking through the neighbourhood has made her scared and unsure of common surroundings, like cars and large rocks on the road.

For lunch I made a Sushi Inspired


Weeds, Spinach, Seaweed, Tomatoes, Sauteed Mushrooms, Salmon Burger and Jicama rice (jicama tossed in the food processor) mixed with Soy Sauce. It was delicious.

After lunch my Mom and I went laptop shopping!! She was a HUGE computer nerd in a past life. I had my heart set on a PINK Sony, much to my Man’s dismay, but since they didn’t have any in stock I settled for white. Funny that I left with white considering my Man and I just had a conversation about our WHITE kitchen cupboards. Saturday afternoon the sun was shining brightly into the kitchen highlighting every crumb on the floor, dust bunny on the fridge and mark on the cupboards from my “grubby hands”. I’m not even kidding you when I say that they are now off white everywhere except for a ring around each handle. This “ring” is a rainbow of colour from the various foods that were stuck to my hands when I touched them. By the end of this conversation it was decided, they need to be repainted.. Black..

Anyway, I showed up at home with my NEW laptop and (empty) promises to wash my hands before using it. I’m not concerned; the man at the store told me if it gets dirty a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would have it looking like new. I wonder how those would work on cupboards? I’ll keep you posted.

I admired my new laptop while eating THIS


1/2 scoop Muscle Food, 1/2 tbsp Cashew Butter, 1/2 tbsp Peanut Butter

I played on it for the rest of the afternoon. By play I mean I booked a trip to my parent’s house in Phoenix for my Man and I. My Visa worked extra hard yesterday.
Since it was Sunday I was headed over to my Parents house (here, duh) for family supper. This family supper was dedicated to my Brother in Law’s 27th (OLD) Birthday. He requested pizza so it was a Gourmet Pizza Night.

My Mom, the gourmet Chef, had bowls of veggies and meat lining the counter to make the pizzas. I went around with my special individual pizza and added random things that looked good. Was I sure that this combination would be good? Nope. It turned out like this:


BBQ Sauce, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Black Olives and Apples. Was it good? YES.

Birthday Boy



One of those most intriguing topics discussed over Za was our health system. Yeah, i’m pretty good at getting the ball rolling on heavy political issues, what can I say it’s a natural talent. This followed my educational explanation of The Cove and my review of Food Inc. Anyway, we were all talking about our various experiences with Doctors lately. Mine being the physical in which the Doctor didn’t think it was necessary to touch me and the other Doctor who prescribed me with stomach Ulcer medication after listening to me explain my symptoms, keep in mind I had already google diagnosed myself so I knew what to say. It just seems like a lot of Doctors don’t REALLY care and that it’s easier to just prescribe a pill than to figure out what’s ACTUALLY wrong.

Have you ever google diagnosed yourself? I’ll never forget the first time I’d done this.

I typed in my symptoms, clicked search and then BAM.

I did NOT like what came up, I did not want to have THAT. So I altered my symptoms, left one out “It’s not that sore” and clicked again.

Searching, Searching..

BAM, WAY WORSE.

No no no, I definitely don’t have that. Come to think of it I am sore there but I’m not having trouble sleeping. Yeah I can sleep. Let’s try this again..
Searching, Searching.

F***

Back to square one. Call an ambulance.


I shortened this story, but this literally went on for an hour. I altered words, took symptoms out, rearranged. One minute I had liver disease the next one of my ovary had burst. With the click of button I went from years of life to days, weeks if I was lucky, back to years. It was stressful and traumatizing thinking I had a very rare deadly disease that was normally only found in pigs.

Running with the theme of boring you to death with my health rants and Doctor conspiracy theories, I came across this yesterday while surfing the Mayo Clinic website. It explains Vegetarian Diets and how to stay healthy while adhering (experimenting, adopting, dabbling in, etc..) to it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596


Vegetarians fall into groups defined by the types of animal-derived foods they eat:

 Vegans eat only plant-based foods. They don't eat foods from animals, including meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs and cheese.

Lacto-vegetarians consume milk and milk products along with plant-based foods. They omit eggs as well as meat, fish and poultry.

 Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs, milk and milk products, such as cheese and yogurt, in addition to plant-based foods. They omit red meat, fish and poultry.

 Flexitarians (semivegetarians) primarily follow a plant-based diet but occasionally eat small amounts of meat, poultry or fish. <---- Yours Truly

If you follow a vegan diet, you may need to find alternatives for eggs and dairy products. Try these suggestions when meal planning or cooking:


 Milk. Drink fortified soymilk, rice milk or almond milk in place of cow's milk. (CHECK)

 Butter. When sauteing, use olive oil, water, vegetable broth, wine or fat-free cooking spray instead of butter. In baked goods, use canola oil. (CHECK)

 Cheese. Use soy cheese or nutritional yeast flakes, which are available in health food stores. (CHECK)

 Eggs. In baked goods, try commercial egg replacers — a dry product made mostly of potato starch. Or you can use the following to replace one egg: 1/4 cup whipped tofu or 1 tablespoon milled flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. For an egg-free omelet use tofu instead of eggs. (Will Try)

Here are nutrients that may be deficient in a vegetarian diet and how you can get these nutrients from nonmeat sources:

 Protein.
Your body needs protein to maintain healthy skin, bones, muscles and organs. Vegetarians who eat eggs or dairy products have convenient sources of protein. Other sources of protein include soy products, meat substitutes, legumes, lentils, nuts, seeds and whole grains.

 Calcium.
This mineral helps build and maintain strong teeth and bones. Low-fat dairy foods and dark green vegetables, such as spinach, turnip and collard greens, kale, and broccoli, are good sources of calcium. Tofu enriched with calcium and fortified soy milk and fruit juices are other options.

 Vitamin B-12. Your body needs vitamin B-12 to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia. This vitamin is found almost exclusively in animal products, including milk, eggs and cheese. Vegans can get vitamin B-12 from some enriched cereals, fortified soy products or by taking a supplement that contains this vitamin.

 Iron.
Like vitamin B-12, iron is a crucial component of red blood cells. Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit are good sources of iron. To help your body absorb nonanimal sources of iron, eat foods rich in vitamin C — such as strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli — at the same time you consume iron-containing foods.

 Zinc. This mineral is an essential component of many enzymes and plays a role in cell division and in the formation of proteins. Good sources of zinc include whole grains, soy products, nuts and wheat germ.

The key to a healthy vegetarian diet — or any diet for that matter — is to enjoy a wide variety of foods. Since no single food provides all of the nutrients that your body needs, eating a wide variety helps ensure that you get the necessary nutrients and other substances that promote good health.“


Back to EATS..

I came home and had some Dessert X who can even keep track anymore. Apparently I was carb loading a Mac truck last night.

Hot Date


I put this Date in the microwave for 12 seconds (thanks girls!!) which was somewhere around 2-4 seconds too long since it smelt burnt and the sides were black. HOWEVER, aside from the burnt part so goey and good.



Pumpernickle and Cinnamon Swirl PB. These two things were made to be eaten together. So good I had to help my self to a second. And half a nanner with Cashew Butter.


This one is my Man's fault, I purposely didn't buy more Ezekiel English Muffins because I can't control myself around them, ESPECIALLY at night. He needed ONE for a salmon burger and made me get them. Now we all know what's going to happen to the rest.. Fudge

By the looks of these "snacks" (as if this fits the definition of SNACK) you would think that I starved myself all day and then had a free for all. After all this I hit the hay.

1 comment:

  1. I think as a vegetarian who eats vegan most of the time, the hardest thing to get is B vitamins! I love nutritional yeast for that reason :) I google diagnose myself all the time!!

    ReplyDelete